Bridget’s practice is tactile and desirable, visual and ornamental, inspired by costume, patina and narrative, in a space between craft, design and fine art. Her work has been described as exploring ‘themes of carnival, folk art and tribal display with a touch of Blackpool thrown in’. Using traditional and new techniques to create functional sculptures, handmade in wood and other elements, her artefacts are designed and handmade in limited, collectable quantities and as one-off pieces.
Having studied textiles, followed by design and craft making, she uses materials, form and joining methods to investigate time-taking and playfulness in repair and (re)making. Rooted in design activism; environmentally and socially conscious, she seeks mindful connections between hand, process and thing. She makes, repairs, undertakes residencies, facilitates workshops, teaches, curates and writes.
Bridget is studying towards a practice based AHRC PhD exploring repair and hand (re)making. Within this she seeks to define repair as part of an expanded design practice, aiming to understand the uses, possibilities and applications of repair as a strand of environmental sustainability. Through practical and artistic repairing, she is ‘assembling’ repair and building know-how. She posits repair as being material, social and environmental learning: a connection which ‘de-garbages’ materials and knowledge, and redefines ownership, choices, values and power.
Current Research Projects
- RepairAbility: Pathways to Sustainability through Repair for Makers and Users (2013 ongoing)
- The Department of Repair (2015 ongoing)
- Cultures of Resilience (CoR), UAL (2014-2016)
repair, (re)making, craft, slow, visible menders/mending, facilitation/curation
Most recent published work
Exhibiting, Curation & Artefacts
- Blue Necklace (2012) in Re: Reanimate, Repair, Meld and Mend at Bluecoat Display Centre, Liverpool. Curator: Scott, P.. 10th October – 14th November 2015
- Necklaces (2015) in creo collective with Matter of Stuff at The Hospital Club. London Design Festival. 23rd – 27th September 2015.
- The Department of Repair at Camberwell Space Gallery. Curators: Harvey, B., Tsutsumi, M., Hurley, M., Richmond, K.. 12th January – 20th February 2015
- Repaired Objects (2013 ongoing) in The Department of Repair at Camberwell Space Gallery. Curators: Harvey, B., Tsutsumi, M., Hurley, M., Richmond, K.. 12th January – 20th February 2015
- Jumper to Lend, Jumper to Mend (#2) (2014) commissioned for Knit 1, Mend 1, Keep 1, Change 1 at Walford Mill Crafts. 17th January - 1st March 2015.
- Jumper to Lend, Jumper to Mend (2014) in Textile Toolbox, online showcase for Mistra Future Fashion. Curators: Earley, R., & Goldsworthy, K. (2014-2015). Touring exhibition: London, Glasgow, Copenhagen, New York, Borås, Uppsala, Falmouth.
- ReDressing Activism (Head Dress and Shoes) (2014) collaboration with Becky Earley and Emmeline Child in Textile Toolbox, online showcase for Mistra Future Fashion. Curators: Earley, R., & Goldsworthy, K. (2014-2015). Touring exhibition: London, Glasgow, Copenhagen, New York, Borås, Uppsala, Falmouth.Repaired Objects (2013 ongoing) in Springboard at Cookhouse Gallery. 11th-17th November 2014.
- Earley, R., & Harvey, B. (2015) Elastic Learning Tools, in Cultures of Resilience (CoR), Ezio Manzini and Jeremy Till. Hato Press; London.
- Harvey, B. & Tsutsumi, M. (eds.) (2015) The Department of Repair, part 1. Art Lacuna; London http://www.artlacuna.org/docs/DOR_part_I.pdf
- Harvey, B. & Tsutsumi, M. (eds.) (forthcoming, 2015) The Department of Repair, part 2. Art Lacuna; London
- Panel speaker for Cultures of Mending: A collaborative workshop. PLATE, Nottingham Trent University, 17th-19th June 2015.
- Harvey, B. (2015) The Department of Repair: An Expanded Form of (Re)Making at Making Research / Researching Making. Adapt-R at Aarhus School of Architecture, Aarhus, Denmark. 10th-12th September 2015.
- Harvey, B. (2015) The Department of Repair: From Space to Place at Making Futures. Plymouth College of Art. 24th-25th September 2015.
Twitter & Instagram: @bhmakes